Monday, October 22, 2007

Red Sox win the Pennant!

I watched the game last night, sitting on the edge of my seat while the score was 3-2; I was really pulling for the Sox. What a night for the rookie! It ended up being 11-2 and that was a massacre, but the Sox really played better ball, despite hitting into double plays numerous times of late. Finally last night it was payback time, with Sizemore hitting into a double play which was CRITICAL for the Sox at that moment. God, baseball is such a sublime game. It bears repeating how very "Zen" it is. I just love it.

Woke up this morning to headlines about the Turks and the Kurds.....can it get any worse in the Middle East? Iraqi leaders have promised to "do something" about the Kurdish terrorists, but they can't even control what is going on in Baghdad, so that "doing something" is a pipe dream and shouldn't be counted on by anyone.

The world is in worse shape than I can ever remember, in my lifetime. How surreal that all of that can be going on half a world away and yet, what many many people were focused on last night was the Indians and Sox battling it out for the Amercian League championship. While the world burns, does it feel strange to celebrate something as relatively trivial as a baseball game? In a way yes, but in a way, to me, the love of baseball is the love of peace, the love of human past times not so bloody, not so threatening. Something still left of benign achievements in human life. I still do want to celebrate that.

No comments: